Earthquake Update: Thursday, August 19th - 2021
Thursday, August 19, 2021
Dear Praying Friends:
Thank you for continuing to pray. Just got in from Haiti. To hear and see the devastation on the news is definitely not the same as seeing with your own eyes. It is overwhelming. I traveled three departments: Nippe (Miragoane), Sud (Les Cayes) and Grand-Anse (Jeremie). One lady I spoke with, lost her two brothers, her sister, her son and two daughters. Her grief was heavy and burdensome on her heart. All I could do was to pray with her and ask for God's peace to be hers. This seemed to calm her spirit. The need is not only for physical food and water, but also spiritual.
Then, the inability to recover bodies, or even survivors under the debris, because there is no machinery saddens the heart. All I can say is to continue to pray that God will make a way for our brothers and sisters who are suffering.
ESMI was able to serve the Sud (Les Cayes) and GrandAnse (Jeremie) departments with about 850,000 meals. Very thankful to our ministry partner, Many Hands for Haiti, for providing 312,120 meals. Thank you to the staff who worked throughout Monday night packing the three trucks. Those trucks arrived safely on Tuesday night. Thank you for praying. Two of the trucks stayed in Cayes to minister to the needs there. The other was en route to Jeremie but never arrived because the needs of the cities along the way was so great. ESMI complemented these meals with rice, corn, oil, peas, etc. Thank you for enabling us to do this.
Tracking Our Distribution in Cayes and Jeremie
On Wednesday, I reached Jeremie and met with several church leaders representing 20 different villages. We openly discussed how much each leader was receiving to distribute for his community. Thank you for empowering these leaders to serve their constituents.
In Les Cayes, distribution began with the widows and then into several villages. As the distribution team reaches a village, a team member is there to track who is being served. Pray for the pastors and community leaders who are in the frontline.
Praise & Prayer Requests
I am very thankful for your prayers and financial support, and also for ministry partners in the US and in Haiti. The relief effort is going to take all of us, and even more, working together for a long time. May God give us wisdom, courage, unity and perseverance to bring His Hope to our brothers and sisters in Southwest Haiti in such a time as this.
- Tomorrow, ministry partner, Go Ministries, is sending 3000lbs of medication from Santiago to Les Cayes with Agape Flights. Thank God for His provision. There is an additional 3000lbs for Cayes and 6000lbs for Jeremie waiting but not sure when Agape will return to Santiago. The request is for a plane to pick these up. Please pray toward that end, or that God will provide another way for these needed medication to reach the southern peninsula.
- Emmanuel Haiti Director was able to connect with Afya Foundation. They will be sending a shipment of meds from New York. Very thankful for the medication that is on its way and the people it will serve. Pray for its safe arrival tomorrow in Cayes.
- On Wednesday afternoon, I drove over this bridge, and today, I received this photo. This bridge is the only way into Jeremie traveling to and from Port-au-Prince. It will now be very difficult to get the needed food, water and medical supplies to this city. Pray for a solution.
- Pray for the people of Marceline. This is a village on the way to Jeremie. No structure is left standing. Everyone in that village is now homeless. They are all on the streets.
- Aftershocks are still being experienced. One as strong as 4.6 was felt yesterday.
- Water is becoming a great need. The rivers are either dried up or muddy.
- Portable latrines are needed. Pray for a company to provide these.
- Tents remain a great need to provide some privacy for families and shelter from the rain and sun until more suitable temporary/permanent housing can be provided. See Update: August 17 for a list of items.
- As mentioned in Monday's update, the Bon Berger church in down town Cayes will have to be demolished. Pray for provision for a tent large enough to house 1,000 people so that worship will continue on this site.
- Safety for everyone living and working tirelessly on the ground, and especially for my brother, Louis, as he oversees the relief effort in Les Cayes.
- Lord willing, on Monday, I will return and meet with pastors and community leaders in the Nippe (Miragoane) department. The epicenter of the quake was within this department and a portion of the Grand-Anse mountain range.
- In order to keep ministering, ESMI will need at least $150,000 by Monday to cover food, water, transportation, and the many other expenses involved in this relief effort. Trusting God to provide.
Subscribe To Our Blog
09/06/2021 - Bless the Lord, O My Soul Mon
08/31/2021 - Rebuilding SW Haiti - The Long
08/27/2021 - Because You Gave Generously...
08/25/2021 - Serving the Nippes Communities
08/22/2021 - Worshiping God in the Midst of
08/20/2021 - Marveling at God's Faithful Pr
08/19/2021 - Earthquake Update: Thursday, A
08/17/2021 - Earthquake Update: Tuesday, Au
08/16/2021 - Earthquake Update: Monday, Aug
08/14/2021 - Today's 7.2 Magnitude Earthqua
03/03/2021 - $50,000 Matching Fund Food Dri
11/16/2020 - Giving Thanks in the Midst of
08/11/2020 - Ministry Amidst Pain, Loss, an
04/15/2020 - Ministry Amidst COVID-19
01/11/2020 - Happy New Year 2020!
12/19/2019 - God's Intervention - Answered
12/02/2019 - Thanksgiving Update - Food Rel
11/26/2019 - $50k Matching Fund
11/26/2019 - Update-Food Relief Effort
11/02/2019 - Haiti-ESMI Prayer Request
10/24/2019 - Haiti - A Country in Turmoil,
10/08/2019 - Keep Praying With Me for Haiti
10/04/2019 - Help Me Pray for Haiti
09/27/2019 - Update from Dony and Sharon St
05/21/2019 - Haiti News Spring 2019
04/23/2019 - CLT March 2019 Board Meeting
03/06/2019 - March Update: Continued Constr
02/20/2019 - Feb Update: New Church Buildin
02/07/2019 - Another Gonaives Church Plant
02/07/2019 - Gonaives Church Plant-Pastor E
01/23/2019 - University of Jeremie Celebrat
10/28/2018 - April 2018 Newsletter
10/28/2018 - October 2018 Newsletter
01/03/2018 - 2017 Year End Update